The results of my first attempt at sculpting dragons were encouraging enough and fun enough that I thought I’d have another go at it. My second foray into the world of dragon-making was based on this image, which I’d painted a while before:
Incidentally, this image was originally inspired by a photo that was taken by my wife Allyson of a cloud:
I had cut out little paper patterns of the various body parts to facilitate the making of these figures because I had this crazy idea that I could make the process quick and efficient enough to be able to make a bunch of these to sell, not quite realizing just how organic and labor-intensive the whole process was going to be. When I did the first one I actually made two copies of the dragon’s head but by the time I’d gotten around to making the second and third ones I’d pretty much abandoned all of the patterns but the three pieces for the head. In this case I wanted to do something in which the wings were more prominent, and I liked the idea of a hanging figure. Once again I started with an armature made of coat hanger for the spine and thinner gage wire for the wings and arms, then filled that out with Styrofoam before wrapping it in Worbla. Here he is before painting:
And the finished piece.